doctor and patient talking

Thinking about making a complaint?

Making a complaint can feel daunting and scary, and you might be wondering whether it's worth the time and effort. However, if you have problems with an NHS or social care service, you need to resolve these to get the care you need.

What is the Healthwatch Halton Advocacy Hub?

The Hub brings together a range of statutory advocacy services, through a single point of access, making it simpler and easier for people to get the right support they need from an advocate when they need it.

The following services are provided within the HUB:

  • IMCA (Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy)
  • DoLS S39A, s39C, s39D
  • Paid RPR (Relevant Persons Representative)
  • IMHA (Independent Mental Health Advocacy)
  • Care Act Advocacy
  • NHS Complaints Advocacy

What is advocacy?

Advocacy is:

  • Ensuring people are able to have their voice heard on issues that are important to them
  • Making sure that any decisions being taken about a person genuinely take into account their views, wishes and feelings
  • Safeguarding and defending a person’s rights

How to get in touch

To help you decide what type of advocacy you need and how to make a referral, please click on the link you need below. 

For further information and guidance about the services we provide, or if you think you or someone you are supporting may need advocacy support, please contact our local team and we will be happy to help.

Phone on 0151 347 8183.  Our phone line is available Monday to Friday 9 am until 5 pm. (An answerphone is available outside of these hours) Email:

Knowing how to make a complaint

Making a complaint can be a daunting task, so knowing who you can complain to and what to do is essential. 

We can help you. We've worked with Healthwatch England to produce straightforward advice will guide you through the process from knowing who to talk to, top tips on what to do and what you can expect from services in response. 

Read our complaints advice

Adult social care complaints

Practical help you can use to make a complaint about adult social care services, including flowcharts, helpful tips and sample letters.

Find out more

Independent NHS Complaints Advocacy (ICAS)

Although most people using the health service are happy with their care and treatment, things can sometimes go wrong. If you’re not satisfied with the service you’ve experienced from a hospital, doctor, dentist, local surgery or any other NHS provider, you are entitled to complain about it.

ICAS information

Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA)

If you are being detained under the Mental Health Act, you are legally entitled to help and support from an Independent Mental Health Advocate (IMHA). It is your right to be referred to an IMHA if you are detained under most sections of the Mental Health Act, whether you are in the hospital or on a Community Treatment Order (CTO).

IMHA information

Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA)

IMCA was introduced as part of the Mental Capacity Act 2005. This gives people who have an impairment, injury or a disability which results in them being unable to make a specific decision for themselves, the right to independent support and representation.

IMCA Service information

Care Act Advocacy

The Care Act 2014 represents the biggest reformation of care and support in 60 years. It takes forward the Government’s commitments to reform social care legislation and to drive up the quality of care. It tells councils across England what they need to do if someone has social care needs and needs support either in their own home or in a care home.

Care Act Advocacy information